CoursesB.A.S.P. First Aid Course 19th - 20th Nov 2011 Wastwater YHA. Stunning location.


B.A.S.P. British Association of Ski Patrollers First Aid Course.

TBA. Nov 2014 Wastwater YHA Lake District Stunning Location.

Excellent hands on course delivered by people who are out there working in the 'outdoors'.


Suitable for Instructors, Mountain Leaders and NGB awards.

Skills courses http://www.carolclimb.co.uk/Courses.htm

Mountain Leader, Lowland leader, Hill and Mountain Skills, SPA, BCU Awards and NNAS Gold, Silver and Bronze Awards


Thursday 12 June 2014


Carol and I headed across to Tebay last Friday for a NNAS committee meeting.
I was acting as duty driver and intended heading to Bessybeck trout fishery  to do some research :-))
I said my hello's had a quick cuppa and wandered off up the road. The sun was cracking the flags when I got there but there was a bit breeze to put a ripple on the water. I caught up with Ian the owner, we both used to fish on the Border Esk for many years, night fishing for Seatrout, one of my all time favourite occupations.
 Not a day I'd choose to go fishing he said as we watched the sun glinting of the water. Research, I assured him, Carol and I are thinking of bringing a family on Sunday, who want to learn to fish. Ian suggested we fish the Mallard lake as he had a large group of youngsters also fishing on Sunday. I went off  to test my flies in the Island Lake, another half dozen hopeful's were whipping the water with only the odd fish leaping out. Not really feeding, no one was having any success. I noticed after a while fishy noses appearing now and again in the ripples of the aerator fountain that was being thrashed to death with a huge green lure by a young lad  (well he was probably in his forties;-0) . He wandered off and gave me an odd look as I quickly moved in to replace him. I cast close to the fountain and the ripples were quickly pushing my flies outwards, as I saw a nose dimple the surface taking my fly, I tightened into a nice rainbow trout. My smug smile was replaced by a frown as the fish turned and spat  out my offering. I checked my three small north country spiders and ginked them up, two or three false casts in the air to dry the flies so they would float and I dropped them back along side the aerator. I could see one fly in the ripple, but not the other two, a gentle swirl beyond my fly made me wonder? No need to wonder as the line in my fingers tightened. YES... quickly turn to no???? as the line went slack?? I checked my flies again, ritually blew on each one in turn to clear the water they had picked up as the fish had drowned them. I cast a third time and again it was an action replay.  Somewhat bemused I watched some large dark olives dancing up and down on the breeze. I decided to change one of my flies and  try again. Greenwells Glory, you little beauty, you, I saw it sat wings upright riding the waves like a galleon in full sail, and a great big mouth came and slurped it in. I tightened the line and the fish moved down and away after a few anxious minutes I had a beautiful 4lb rainbow trout in the net.
All to soon it was time to pick up Carol from Tebay, the score for the day 6 all, six hooked and lost, and six in the bag. Another excellent day at Bessybeck.

 


For more information about places to fish in the lakes see the link below.
http://www.lakedistrictfishing.net/component/option,com_chsearch/Itemid,8/lang,en/index.php?option=com_mtree&task=viewlink&link_id=12&Itemid=8

No comments:

Post a Comment